1. What you need to change in your setup
The first thing you have to do is to put yourself in the best position as possible before you start swinging. But what is the best strating-postion for a downhill greenside bunkershot? Here is what to do:
- As for most bunkershots, open up you clubface to create more height and more exposure of the bounce
- Make you stance wider. Not just a little bit wider, but a lot.
- With the wide stance, tilt you upper body so its close to being perpendicular to the slope the ball is placed at.
- Your weight is now a lot on the front foot. Depending on the slope, it can be as much as 90-95% of the weight being on the front foot.
- Last thing you need to do in the setup, is to place your hands forward of the ball so that the shaft is leaning with the slope.
Below is a picture demonstrating the 4 above mentioned setup adjustments. The right picture demonstrates the opposite, but unfortunately very often seen setup for a downhill bunker shot.